Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Collier Schorr

Collier Schorr's Images were pretty interesting. Personally I liked the wrestling pictures more than the soldier pictures. I thought the wrestling pictures seemed more natural than the other ones. To be honest at first I was like, " Oh okay, cool pictures" I don't think I got a appreciation for her work until we discussed the images and her message in depth. After discussing her video in class I agree with Faith's comment. She said that if she would have seen Collier's Images displayed in a gallery she wouldn't know what the pictures were about. If I were to just see these images in a gallery I would say cool it's kids in a high school wrestling team, but I wouldn't get the actual message behind it. Maybe that's part of the way Collier works. I can see how Collier want it to bring out the typical stereotype in boys in her work.

What I liked the most was the pictures of the boy posing like a woman when he thought he was playing a role sometimes the pose came out naturally. That's were the idea of men also having a feminine side to them came out. As I saw the images I can see through her eyes, and see that if she were to be a boy she would be a wrestler or a soldier. My personal opinion is that maybe she even grew up with gender issues. I say this because her physical appearance looked masculine to me, but maybe that's just her style, and off course she has a feminine side. Every women has a feminine side to them. Many kids go through identity or maybe even gender issues in their adolescence. Now I put myself in her shoes and think what would I have wanted to be if I was a boy?....... I think I would love to be a good athlete such as, a soccer or football player. I consider myself extremely feminine, (which some people stereotype me as girly-girl) but I also have my masculine aggressive, very competitive side. Overall, I learned to appreciate her work, and see her reasons for it.

No comments: