Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Museum of Photographic Arts, Balboa Park

The pictures at this gallery where all interesting in their own way. I enjoyed every picture because they all had their perks. I recognized an artist that we have seen in class Sally Mann. It feels cool to recognize an artist after watching some work in class. One of the images that my grandma and I thought was very interesting and nice was by the artist Neil Folberg. The picture is named "Sacred Lake near the Temple of Amon, Egypt." I think this one was one of my favorite ones because it looks so mysterious, because of it's misty, foggy look, and in the background you can see the sillouette of the pyramids, which I think are one of the most beautiful wonders of the world. In the lake you can see the reflection of the clouds, palm trees, and the pyramids, which makes it look like there drawn in.

Another image that I just liked for it's simplicity, and because the people in the picture where wonderful, talented artist themselves is the picture is by Edward Weston 1930 "Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo." It's a simple black and white picture of both Diego and Frida. Sometimes the more simple things are the better. I personally like this picture because I think these two where a wonderful pair with talent and a crazy love, hate relationship. Frida was a strong latino women with a strong drive to be successful as an artist and to make her relationship work. Diego was a womanizer and a talented artist. Their paintings expressed their feelings and emotions. That is why I chose this picture as one of my favorite ones of this gallery.

The other image that I really liked for it's creativity, and bright colors is by the artist Masumi Hayashi, "The Saint and The Market Place, Meenakshi Temple, India. This pcture reminded me of the panoramics we are doing in class because it's a lot of picture put together to make a collage. The Collage has a similarity to the panoramics because the pictures have to overlap in order to see the what's going on in the picture. This picture was very interesting. It seems like a lot of work, but fun to create.

Overall, I had a wonderful experience visiting the exhibits with my grandmother and nephew. There was a lot of wonderful things to see and enjoy the beauty, and the not so beutiful. I can't find any of the images I liked in the exhibit, and unfortunately they don't let you take photos therefore; I can't share a picture. I will add though pictures I took of Balboa Park.

No comments: